Frequently Asked Questions
What is Lymphoedema?
Lymphoedema is a build up of fluid that results in swelling in one or more body parts. There are many reasons why someone might develop lymphoedema, but it's usually due to damage to the lymphatic system, or when the lymphatic system isn't working the way it should.
Early intervention is key in the treatment of lymphoedema, so if you're concerned, please feel free to contact us, or book an appointment to have it assessed by a qualified Lymphoedema practitioner
What is Oncology Physiotherapy?
Oncology physiotherapy is the treatment of cancer patients during and after their cancer treatment.
We can help to:
* Address fatigue from cancer treatment
* Prescribe a personalised exericse program
* Treat cording/axillary web syndrome
* Help with scar management
* Provide palliative care through compression, gentle movement, massage
What is lymphatic drainage?
Manual lymphatic drainage is gentler form of massage (as opposed to deep tissue), that is designed to help facilitate the flow of lymph fluid around the body. It's not just for those who have lymphoedema. Lymphatic drainage can also be used aid in the relief of:
* Swelling during pregnancy
* Sporting injuries
* Post-surgery swelling
* Auto-immune disorders (where the lymphatics are compromised)
* Some vascular conditions if swelling is involved